Mechanical Engineer - Power Group
Sandvik Mining & Rock Technology in Alachua, FL is looking for a
Mechanical Engineer – Power Group
We are looking for someone to apply their technical aptitude, engineering creativity and commitment to quality to join our Sandvik Family!
Sandvik Mining and Rock Technology is a business area within the Sandvik Group and a leading global supplier of equipment, tools, service, and technical solutions for the mining industry. The product offering covers rock drilling, rock cutting, rock crushing, loading and hauling and materials handling.
Key performance areas:
Rotary Drills Division is seeking an innovative and team oriented Mechanical Engineer for our Power Group Team within our Surface Mining Customer segment at our Alachua, FL facility.
As part of a diverse and dedicated team of Engineers, you will design power transmission, cooling system and air system packages for various machines to improve productivity while increasing safety and quality. Test and validate theoretical calculations including but not limited to the component selection and application as well as conduct a variety of calculations to substantiate designs.
The Mechanical Engineer focus is creating designs and providing technical solutions for the Power Group. Daily responsibilities will include the design, development and testing of systems which include Engines, Air Compressors, Coolers & power transmission components as well as the designing of pipe routings for cooling system, hose routings and mounts for engines and compressors. You will work closely with the manufacturing team with power equipment issues found on the manufacturing floor and optimize designs for manufacturing.
- Perform a variety of calculations to substantiate design using a working knowledge of design of mechanics of materials and design/application of machine elements.
- Create detail part and assembly drawings showing necessary design details of welding instructions, dimensions and tolerances.
- Make sure that all designs are fully documented in models, drawings and Bill of Materials.
- Write Engineering Change Notice (ECN’s) to properly convey the engineering changes resulting from new designs or revisions.
Additionally, the Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for:
- Provide input on current product designs improving quality, safety and manufacturing efficiency.
- Partnering with System Leads to ensure designs meet appropriate standards, quality and follow the component and system strategy as well as conducting cross-functional design reviews across other departments.
- Collaboration with Chief Engineers to ensure on time projects completion, product meets specification, are fully tested and in compliance with the Sandvik safety management program.
The Mechanical Engineer is a team player, innovative and a good communicator. You must have a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or relevant degree along with at least 2 years of practical engineering experience. Experience with MS Office Suite, 3D Modeling CAD package (NX Preferred) and Product Lifecycle Management System (Teamcenter is preferred). Knowledge of system design which includes engines, compressors, and coolers as well as a basic understanding of Engineering Mechanics, Air Compressors, Engines and Power transmission.
In addition, you’ll need:
- Outstanding communication and solid interpersonal skills
- Problem solving skills
- Application knowledge of mobile equipment, preferably in drilling equipment.
- Good understanding of common engineering standards for mobile equipment product development (Design and drafting, GD&T).
- Basic ability to perform FEA.
Sandvik offers a comprehensive total compensation package including a competitive benefits package of life, health, dental, and disability insurance, paid time off, paid holidays, employee wellness and recreational discounts and a 401(k)-retirement savings plan. In addition, we provide opportunities for professional development and training, as well as opportunities for career advancement.
How to apply
For immediate consideration, please apply online at www.sandvik.com/careers to the Mechanical Engineer – Power Group position, Job Req. ID # R0027575.
Sandvik is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Any applicant who, because of a disability, needs accommodation or assistance in completing an application or at any time during the application process should contact Human Resources at email@example.com. Sandvik also provides reasonable accommodations to employees with disabilities consistent with its obligations under the law.
Deadline: Not set