Solid financial position supports shift to growth
We have a growth target of 7% through a business cycle, where 50% will be generated from organic growth, and 50% from acquired growth.
Our proven ability to develop new technologies and solutions in tune with our customers, enables us to continue to adjust and benefit from long-term market trends. This, combined with our solid balance sheet, good cash flow generation and a net cash position, will enable us to deliver on our growth target.
Expanding our core competencies and the customer offering
We continue to advance in our core areas, building on and expanding our key competencies within metal cutting, mining equipment and advanced materials.
Combining our core skills and hardware with new digital technologies enables new customer solutions.
Trends impacting us
We see several trends impacting our markets. Examples are:
- Digitalization and connectivity
- Technological breakthroughs
- Sustainability and electrification
- Economic and geopolitical developments
Grasping the opportunities of the future
To remain relevant for future business opportunities we grow our customer offering through acquisitions and partnerships to create new digital and technology solutions to be relevant to customers on a broader spectrum. This enables us to meet the commercial trends of the future which we see emerging and taking off.
Examples of future opportunities
In the manufacturing industry customers increasingly look for seamless solutions for the total production cycle, from component design, production preparation and machining to quality verification – so-called closed-loop manufacturing. New digital solutions make us relevant for customers throughout the value chain.
Development of new materials and production technologies
- We develop cutting technologies as lighter, harder and more complex components are required by our customers. Each requires new advanced cutting technologies.
- We have expanded our offering of Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV) in underground mining through the acquisition of Artisan.
New technologies enable integrated working processes for increased efficiency and sustainability. Examples are:
- Digital manufacturing, software solutions, additive manufacturing and in-line metrology. Our end-to-end digital offering is agnostic. It automates and connects the component manufacturing value chain – from design and planning to preparation, production and verification.
- Automation in the mining industry offers increased utilization of the equipment, improving productivity as well as sustainability. The productivity gains of an automated solution could be significant. Safety benefits related to automated vehicles being controlled from the surface, hence less people required in the mine.
- Mining industry-specific digital solutions for predictive insights and real-time analytics to improve operator and equipment performance. Optimine® enables seamless process planning for efficient equipment utilization, including solutions for 3D mine visualizer, drill plan visualizer, scheduling, task management, location tracking and telemetry reporting.
The number of acquisitions has increased since 2018, supported by a strong balance sheet. 50 percent of our growth target of 7% over a business cycle will be coming from acquired growth and each division owns its own M&A agenda.
Go to the acquisitions page
In recent years a number of businesses have been divested as they were viewed as non-core to Sandvik or not an area where we believe will be a leading supplier. Divestments include Sandvik Drilling & Completions (Varel), Hyperion, Sandvik Process Systems, Wire.