Research & Development
Sr. Design Engineer
Sandvik Mining & Rock Solutions is looking for Sr. Design Engineer to join their Rotary Drills Division in Alachua, FL.
Sandvik is a global engineering company with over 37,000 team members worldwide. Our division headquarters in sunny Alachua, FL is where we design and manufacture world class rotary drill machines for the global surface mining industry. We offer customer focused mining solutions centered on our own employees’ passion to win while maintaining a fun and rewarding work atmosphere.
At Sandvik, we’re technology driven, innovative, entrepreneurial, and inclusive! Our workplace is full of dedicated and passionate team members who directly contribute to our company’s growth and success. We believe that diversity inspires, so we invest in supporting each other, learning together, and celebrating our differences. And it’s our commitments to Safety, Quality and our People in what sets us apart here in Alachua.
The Senior Design Engineer position is responsible for assigned R&D and Engineering tasks within the Surface Mining Customer Segment at Alachua facility. Senior Design Engineer is responsible for the design tasks and technical solutions performed in the responsibility area based on the priorities set by Supervisor. Purchasing components based on requirements within MRP.
- Will work in compliance with the Sandvik safety management program.
- Design, develop and test complex mast, frame and cab systems.
- Responsible that all designs are fully documented in models, drawings, and Bill of Materials.
- Perform a variety of calculations to substantiate design using a working knowledge of design of mechanics of materials, design/application of machine elements and usage/interpretation of FEA results.
- Create detail part and assembly drawings showing necessary design details of welding instructions, dimensions and tolerances.
- Ensure BOM accuracy in PLM (Teamcenter) during Engineering releases.
- Write ECN’s to properly convey the engineering changes resulting from new designs or revisions.
- Test, troubleshoot and confirm designs meet machine specifications and design requirements.
- Maintain technical coordination and support with Engineering Supervisors to ensure designs and drawings meet appropriate standards, quality and follow the component and system strategy.
- Maintain technical coordination and support with Chief Engineers and Engineering Supervisors to ensure on time project completion, product meets specification and is fully tested.
- Maintain technical coordination to lead Design Engineers to complete tasks that meet appropriate standards and quality.
- Maintain technical coordination and support with other departments, including, but not limited to,
- Production, Purchasing, Sales and Customer Service including conducting and documenting cross functional design reviews.
Minimum Required Education:
- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering is preferred.
- Application knowledge of mobile equipment, preferably in drilling equipment.
- Understanding of mechanics of materials and design/application of machine elements.
- Understanding of machine steel fabrications, manufacturing techniques and processes.
- Good understanding of common engineering standards for mobile equipment product development.
- Ability to perform FEA and interpret results (Ansys).
- CAD package Proficiency (UG/NX and/or MEDUSA preferred.
- Working within a PDM system (TeamCenter).
- MS Productivity suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Strong analytical thinking skills.
- Team work and clear communication skills.
Prolonged periods of time sitting at a desk and working on a computer as well as standing and kneeling in factory.
Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
Manual dexterity to visualize, evaluate, install and modify equipment.
- Health Insurance- After 30 days you’re eligible for our Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance with Flexible Spending. There’s company paid short term disability insurance and Group Life Insurance.
- Future Savings - We help you save for retirement in offering a generous 401(k) plan with auto/matching your contribution up to 8%.
- Rest & Relaxation - We provide up to 2 weeks Paid Time Off your first year of employment along with 11 Company paid holidays. After 1 year of service, you’re awarded 3 Weeks of Vacation. Woohoo!
- And if you’re feeling under the weather – we have up to 6 sick days a year too.
Career & Other Perks
- Career Path - Your success and career at Sandvik is very important to us and we support your professional development by offering online and classroom trainings through our onsite Sandvik Training Academy and offer a College Tuition Reimbursement Program for those wanting to finish a degree or pursue another or other certifications.
- Promoting the Sandvik Spirit - Community is important to us and we do our best to support and give back to the community and local charities which employees can participate with our Community Service Days
- Let’s be healthy together - you receive an annual Wellness, Diet and Gym Stipend
- Fun in the workplace - We have Employee Resource Groups and an Employee Activity Committee that promotes at least one event every quarter.
- Unlimited Employee Discounts – Part of a global organization there are many employee savings available from purchasing a car, buying a cellphone, or taking the much-needed vacation. These discount programs are from the major automobile manufacturers and famous retail brands, theme parks, etc.
Come Join our Sandvik Family!
How to apply
For immediate consideration, please apply online at www.sandvik.com to the Sr Design Engineer Req. ID #R0058147.
Sandvik is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Any applicant who, because of a disability, needs accommodation or assistance in completing an application or at any time during the application process should contact Human Resources at HRsupport.US@sandvik.com. Sandvik also provides reasonable accommodations to employees with disabilities consistent with its obligations under the law.