Legal Counsel - USA and Canada
Sandvik Mining & Rock Solutions in Smyrna, Ga is looking for a
Legal Counsel – USA and Canada
Sandvik Mining and Rock Solutions is a business area within the Sandvik Group and a leading global supplier of equipment, tools, services, and technical solutions for the mining industry. The product offering covers rock drilling, rock cutting, rock crushing, loading and hauling and materials handling, battery-operated vehicles and Sandvik’s market-leading automation and electrification offerings.
Key Performance Areas
The Legal Counsel will be a member of the regional Legal and Compliance Support team and as such provide legal advice and compliance support to Sandvik Mining and Rock Solutions Business Area's USA/Canada Sales Areas. As part of this responsibility, the Legal Counsel will implement proper policies and procedures for legal risk management and compliance in the Sales Areas, aligned with global Business Area (BA) and Group Policies and Procedures.
The Legal Counsel will play an important part in both the BA Legal and Compliance Function and the Sales Organization within the USA/Canada Sales Areas with a particular focus on:
- continuing current initiatives to develop and implement global sales templates
- training and processes roll out to complement the Global Sales Commercial Approval System within the region
- advising on material Sales and Purchase Agreements and other strategic agreements such as Distribution Agreements and Framework Agreements
- managing disputes and external counsel
- ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Typical responsibilities of the Legal Counsel will include:
- Advising on, negotiating and drafting:
- - equipment and services sale contracts (including trading terms, goods and services sale contracts, rental contracts and all forms of mining and construction contracts) in line with Sandvik’s global corporate policies;
- data sharing agreements with emphasis on data privacy laws;
- distribution and framework agreements (including competition law concepts)
- purchase and procurement contracts (including trading terms, goods and services purchase contracts, lease contracts and hire purchase agreements);
- - agreements for Sandvik’s real estate interests throughout the region, including lease agreements,- sale and purchase of land agreements, and facility design and construction agreements; and
- confidentiality agreements, framework agreements and other pre-contract negotiations.
- Advising on and upholding corporate governance in each of the entities operating throughout the Region including advising on board matters, directors’ resolutions and shareholder resolutions, limits of authority, risk allocations in commercial relationships and commercial risk management.
- Advising and supporting on Human Resources matters including hiring policies, employment contracts, compensation and benefits matters, termination and redundancies, etc.
- Managing and appearing on Sandvik’s behalf in litigation and dispute resolution matters throughout the Region (including all forms of Alternate Dispute Resolution) and assisting global teams and Sandvik Intellectual Property AB in global litigation and dispute resolution matters.
- Understanding Sandvik's global insurance regime and various insurance policies and ensure contractual insurance compliance.
- Presenting internal training seminars to employees.
- Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA-accredited law school
- Member in good standing of a state bar
- A qualified lawyer having a minimum of 5 years' experience ideally gained within a top tier law firm and/or an in-house Legal function of a multinational company.
- Experience in the mining, construction and/or manufacturing sectors will be considered favorably, although candidates from other relevant industries will be considered.
- A proven track record of successfully advising a corporation on a wide range of legal issues.
- Proven delivery of pragmatic solutions to legal matters and problems.
- Experience of analysis of complex legal and commercial issues.
- Attention to detail and willingness to marshal the relevant facts is important.
- Experience managing external legal resources cost effectively.
- The successful candidate will possess strong business acumen and judgment, being able to effectively switch between the roles of legal and commercial advisor.
Sandvik offers a comprehensive total compensation package, including a competitive benefits package of health, dental and disability insurance, and a 401(k)-retirement savings plan. In addition, we provide opportunities for professional competence development and training, as well as opportunities for career advancement.
The position will be located in Smyrna, Georgia
How to apply
For immediate consideration, please apply online at http://www.sandvik.com/careers/ for the Legal Counsel – USA and Canada position, Job Req. # R0028535.
Sandvik is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Any applicant who, because of a disability, needs accommodation or assistance in completing an application or at any time during the application process should contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sandvik also provides reasonable accommodations to employees with disabilities consistent with its obligations under the law.
Deadline: Not set