Engineering Director, Battery Development
The Battery Engineering Director:
- Oversees and manages the engineering development activities and supervises engineering personnel in the battery team.
- Is responsible for delegation of engineering tasks and maintaining project timelines in collaboration with the Project Managers.
- Is responsible for establishing, implementing, and tracking department KPI’s.
- Is responsible for setting and maintaining the department budget and expenses.
- Is responsible for undertaking performance reviews and assessments.
- Is responsible for hiring and termination of personnel within the department.
- Is responsible for providing leadership and mentorship to the engineering personnel.
- Reports to the Vice President of Product Line and is a member of the management team.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or Engineering Technology preferred.
- 10+ experience developing battery systems for high voltage electric powertrains.
- 10+ years experience with battery protection and management systems including protection systems, charger control, state of charge monitoring and health monitoring.
- Management experience related to product design and development of new products.
- Demonstrated expertise with Li-ion cell chemistry and the various processes involved in manufacturing lithium-ion battery packs.
- Experience with failure of lithium-ion battery systems (cell, module, pack level) including propagation resistance and venting systems.
- Experience with successful launches of battery systems into mass production is a plus.
- Experience with battery management algorithms and their interaction with HW, FW, application platform systems, and manufacturing practices.
- Experience with testing and qualifying battery system components and cells.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, ability to solve complex problems.
- Solid technical background, with understanding or hands-on experience in heavy equipment development and engineering.
- Project management: project conceptualization, execution, management, and reporting.
- Process improvement: Product development system operations, development and characterization of new processes, and improvement of existing processes to improve battery performance and battery manufacturing.
- Develop engineering requirements specifications, test and validation plans for manufacturing and characterizing battery packs.
- Work with safety, reliability, operations, and other cross functional partners to integrate the battery into the final system.
- Collaborate on materials development and validation with external vendors and potential customers.
- Work closely with the engineering team to develop battery enclosures and protection control systems.
- Provide technical direction and managerial oversight to ensure that tooling and product designs result in the most efficient product manufacturability, utilize materials and processes which minimize product manufacturing costs and meet customer specifications, expectations and timelines.
- Failure analysis (FMEA), including validation testing, and root cause analysis
- Align priorities, provide regular performance feedback, establish individual development plans, and support ongoing professional development.
- Participate in the design, implementation, and maintenance of the company quality system.
- Ensure that engineering activities are delivered on-time, in scope, and within budget.
- Develop project scope and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility.
- Ensure resource availability and allocation.
- Use appropriate verification techniques to manage changes in project scope, schedule, and costs.
- Provide timely issue resolution and critical path management.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Familiarity with detailed workings of different battery chemistries and their limitations.
- Demonstrated expertise in change management, facilitation, and project management methods
- Ability to integrate industry best practices and benchmarks into current operations.
- Experienced in creating project schedules and work breakdown structures.
- Ability to filter and distill relevant information for the right audience.
- Analytical problem solver with the ability to anticipate and mitigate risk.
- Self-motivated and proactive with demonstrated creative and critical thinking capabilities.
- Understands and deals well with rapid development cycles; remains flexible and calm in the face of ambiguity.
- Detailed knowledge of product development processes as well as a strong understanding of manufacturing processes.
- Provide roadmap for manufacturing Integration programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
Careers with Sandvik:
Sandvik offers a career opportunity with an international corporation that develops and creates cutting edge electric and hybrid technology. You will be part of a fast-growing group of highly motivated people who have a strong will to succeed. You will have substantial opportunities for personal development and will be working with highly skilled colleagues. Your employer will be subsidiary Artisan Vehicle Systems, who provides a competitive compensation and benefit package, including 401(k), Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance plans, paid vacation and 11 paid holidays.
Artisan/Sandvik is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Any applicant who, because of a disability, needs accommodation or assistance in completing an application or at any time during the application process should contact Human Resources at +(1) 805-512-9955 Sandvik also provides reasonable accommodations to employees with disabilities consistent with its obligations under the law.
Deadline: Not set