We shift climate
We will deliver on our commitments to reduce our climate impact. We are aiming to shift mindsets and outcomes in our own business, for our customers and with our suppliers to help reach our targets.
- Yearly targets for energy efficiency improvements are defined and followed up on by all divisions.
- Among the initiatives are a clean electricity supply initiative with Purchase Power Agreements and green certificates, vehicle electrification and efforts to reduce our transport impact.
- The launch of a new battery loader will reduce heat and emissions for our mining customers. Read more about the loader on rocktechnology.sandvik
More examples of how we make progress
- We have reduced the airfreight for rock tools, cutting CO2 emissions by 40 percent (during 2017–2019).
- By changing to a more energy-efficient lime in our steel mill in Sandviken, we were able to achieve an indirect reduction of 5,800 tons of CO2 per year.
- All Sandvik Coromant sites are part of the “Green Factory” vision to reduce carbon emissions.
- Scope 3 emission monitoring in areas such as transportation of products and people was initiated.
- Biogas was used for the first time in the steel mill and hot rolling production in Sandviken, Sweden.
- New electrical furnaces in the mining operations reduce energy consumption.
Reduction of CO2 emissions
We need to reduce our CO2 emissions to 166 ktons to achieve a 50 percent reduction by 2030. The graph shows the reduction of CO2 emissions for 2016–2020.
In 2020, CO2 emissions fell by 17 percent to 266 ktons, mainly due to low activity levels caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. Production was shut down in India in the second quarter and traveling was reduced to a minimum.
The dotted line is an indication of how well we are in line with the 2030 targets, meaning we exceeded the 2020 requirements in relation to the target. The target is adjusted for structural changes.