We will deliver on our commitments to reduce our climate impact. We are aiming to shift mindsets and outcomes in our own business, for our customers and with our suppliers to help reach our targets.
- Yearly targets for energy efficiency improvements are defined and followed up on by all divisions.
- We have signed agreements to purchase fossil-free energy in a number of markets and we already purchase clean energy for our European sites.
- Among the initiatives are also vehicle electrification and efforts to reduce our transport impact.
- The launch of new battery-electric equipment and vehicles reduces heat and emissions for our mining customers. Read more about offering to the mining industry on rocktechnology.sandvik
More examples of how we make progress
- We have reduced the airfreight for rock tools, cutting CO2 emissions by 40 percent (during 2017–2019).
- By changing to a more energy-efficient lime in our steel mill in Sandviken, we were able to achieve an indirect reduction of 5,800 tons of CO2 per year.
- All Sandvik Coromant sites are part of the “Green Factory” vision to reduce carbon emissions.
- Scope 3 emission monitoring in areas such as transportation of products and people was initiated.
- Biogas was used for the first time in the steel mill and hot rolling production in Sandviken, Sweden.
- New electrical furnaces in the mining operations reduce energy consumption.
Reduction of CO2 emissions
We need to reduce our CO2 emissions to 166 ktons to achieve a 50 percent reduction by 2030. The table and graph show the reduction of CO2 emissions for 2016–2021.
In 2021, CO2 emissions fell by 16.4 percent to 234 ktons, despite increased production and traveling. Fossil-free energy sourcing was the major contributor.
The dotted line is an indication of how well we are in line with the 2030 targets, meaning we exceeded the 2020 requirements in relation to the target. The target is adjusted for structural changes.