UN Sustainability Goals
World leaders have committed themselves to 17 Global Goals for Sustainable Development (SDGs). Cross-sector collaboration between civil society, academia and the business community is key if the goals are to be achieved. Sandvik has defined the goals that are most relevant for the company and to which we actively contribute:
Good health and well-being
Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 3
Our battery-electric drill rigs, loaders and trucks reduce heat and emissions in underground mining.
Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 5
- Diversity and inclusion are material areas for Sandvik that are closely followed up. Sandvik has set up a 2030 sustainability goal to have at least one third women in managerial positions. Read more about our 2030 people goal
- Our Code of Conduct and Supplier Code of Conduct prohibit discrimination against women or on any other discriminatory ground.
- We have an employee parenting program in Brazil.
- In India, we make it safer for women to work night shifts by, among other things, providing transportation to and from work. Read an article about the advantages of the new safety measures
- We offer daycare for employees’ children in India.
Affordable and clean energy
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 7
We have signed agreements to purchase fossil-free energy in a number of markets and we already purchase clean energy for our European sites.
Decent work and economic growth
Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 8
- Decent working conditions are a prerequisite set out in our Code of Conduct and in our Supplier Code of Conduct. We respect the ILO Declaration on fundamental principles and rights at work, as well as principles 4, 5 and 6 of the UN Global Compact. We have a strict prohibition against forced, slave and child labor.
- Safety for our employees and contractors is a highly prioritized area. One of our long-term sustainability goals is zero harm to people. Read more about our 2030 people goal
- AutoMine® mining automation solution removes people from hazardous areas to a safer and healthier environment. Read more on rocktechnology.sandvik
Industry, innovation and infrastructure
Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 9
- PrimeTurning™ is a methodology that enables turning in all directions. It allows customers to double the speed and feed rates, providing faster metal removal. The productivity increase is substantial, >50 percent, compared to conventional turning. Read more on sandvik.coromant.com
- On-demand, 3D-printed solutions based on titanium powder transform the medical industry. Read more on metalpowder.sandvik
Responsible consumption and production
Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 12
Our goal is to drive the shift towards a circular society. We have extensive recycling schemes and buy-back programs in place. For example, we buy back used cemented-carbide tools from our customers and convert them back into basic raw materials in an extensive recycling program. This reduces energy consumption, lowers carbon emissions and produces less waste.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 13
- We will halve our CO2 impact by 2030. All divisions have set targets for energy efficiency and reduced carbon emissions. Read more about our 2030 climate goal
- A new electric underground crushing and conveying system at our Wolfram division will reduce CO2 emissions by 250 tons annually.
- The drill rig Sandvik DD422iE reduces particulates (NOx) and emissions underground. Read more at rocktechnology.sandvik