UN Global Goals index
World leaders have committed themselves to 17 Global Goals for Sustainable Development (SDGs). Cross-sector collaboration between civil society, academia and the business community is key if the goals are to be achieved. Sandvik has defined the goals that are most relevant for the company and to which we actively contribute:
Good health and well-being
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 3
- Exera® medical wire, used in medical applications, helps to improve people’s lives. Read more on materials.sandvik
- Our battery-driven mining equipment, for example, Sandvik DD422iE automated drill rig and Sandvik LH518B battery loader, improves the air quality underground. Read more on rocktechnology.sandvik
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 5
- Diversity and inclusion are material areas for Sandvik that are closely followed up. Sandvik has set up a 2030 sustainability goal to have at least one third women in managerial positions.
- Our Code of Conduct and Supplier Code of Conduct prohibit discrimination against women or on any other discriminatory ground.
- We have an employee parenting program in Brazil.
- We have made it possible for female employees in India to do shift work in a safe way. Read an article about the advantages of the new safety measures
- We offer daycare for employees’ children in India.
Affordable and clean energy
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 7
- We use clean electricity in all our European production sites (20), one in the US and one in Brazil, corresponding to 84 percent of our electricity usage.
- Our coated strip steel for fuel cell bipolar interconnect plates can be used in, for example, hydrogen cars and stationary hydrogen solutions which are clean energy sources. Read more on materials.sandvik
- We deliver stainless steel tubes to the world’s first industrial supercritical gasifier for the production of renewable gas. Read more in our Stories section
Decent work and economic growth
Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 8
- Decent working conditions are a prerequisite set out in our Code of Conduct and in our Supplier Code of Conduct. We respect the ILO Declaration on fundamental principles and rights at work, as well as principles 4, 5 and 6 of the UN Global Compact. We have a strict prohibition against forced, slave and child labor.
- Safety for our employees and contractors is a highly prioritized area. One of our long-term sustainability goals is zero harm to people.
- AutoMine® mining automation solution removes people from hazardous areas to a safer and healthier environment. Read more on rocktechnology.sandvik
Industry, innovation and infrastructure
Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 9
- PrimeTurning™ is a methodology that enables turning in all directions. It allows customers to double the speed and feed rates, providing faster metal removal, which means more parts per run. The productivity increase is substantial, >50 percent, compared to conventional turning. Read more on sandvik.coromant.com
- Sandvik Hiflex® precision strip steel is designed for the manufacture of compressor valves for next-generation compressors and contributes to enhancing compressor efficiency, promoting long service life and reducing noise. Read more on materials.sandvik
- Our industrial heating solutions help customers reduce their CO2 emissions by converting from fossil gas furnaces to electrical furnaces. Read more on kanthal.com
- On-demand, 3D-printed solutions based on titanium powder transform the medical industry. Read more on metalpowder.sandvik
Responsible consumption and production
Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 12
- Sandvik steel is derived from 82 percent (2020) recycled material.
- We have extensive recycling schemes and buy-back programs in place. For example, we buy back used cemented-carbide tools from our customers and convert them back into basic raw materials in an extensive recycling program. This reduces energy consumption, lowers carbon emissions and produces less waste. Read more about the recycling of tools
- We work actively with the recycling of the mineral dolomite. Full recycling would decrease the demand for virgin dolomite with 3,000 tons per year.
- Our Plug and Play Grinding Container increases rock drilling tool life, cut drill bit costs, reduces emissions as well as environmental and human cobalt exposure. Read more on rocktechnology.sandvik
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 13
- We will halve our CO2 impact by 2030. All divisions have set targets for energy efficiency and reduced carbon emissions. The Rock Tools division has reduced carbon emissions by 40 percent (2017–2020) by moving from airfreight to other means of transport.
- The drill rig Sandvik DD422iE reduces particulates (NOx) and emissions underground. Read more at rocktechnology.sandvik
- Sandvik Hiflex® flapper valve material helps our customers reduce energy and create more efficient air conditioners and fridges, leading to CO² emission reductions. Read more at materials.sandvik
- Kanthal® heating technology products and services help customers reduce their carbon footprint by converting from gas to electric heating. Go to the website kanthal.com
- Our tubes for gasoline direct injection (GDI) technology helps reduce fuel consumption. Read more at materials.sandvik