UN Sustainability Goals
World leaders have committed themselves to 17 Global Goals for Sustainable Development, SDGs (the link goes to the UN website). Cross-sector collaboration between civil society, academia and the business community is key if the goals are to be achieved.
How Sandvik contributes
We have defined the goals that are most relevant for the Sandvik and to which we actively contribute:
3. Good health and well-being
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 3
- Our battery-electric underground offering reduces heat and emissions underground. This improves the working conditions while helping mining customers reach their sustainability targets and reduce ventilation costs.
- Health and well-being programs are in place at Sandvik locations.
5. Gender equality
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 5
- We have set a goal that one third of our managers should be female by 2030.
- We partner with Female Leader Engineers and in 2022 we entered a strategic partnership with the International Women in Mining organization.
- In India, we encourage diversity and make it safer for women to work night shifts by, among other things, providing transportation to and from work.
- We offer daycare for employees’ children in India and Brazil.
7. Affordable and clean energy
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 7
- We have signed agreements to purchase fossil-free energy in a number of markets and we purchase clean energy for all our European sites.
- Renewable energy production on our own sites keeps on increasing and we run a large number of Environmental Improvement Projects.
8. Decent work and economic growth
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 8
- The Sandvik Apprenticeship program has invested in the development of technical skills for trackless mining in the Southern Africa region for the past 22 years. Through the Sandvik Southern Africa Academy in South Africa, more than 1,000 apprentices are being trained towards a mining equipment trade in Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Tanzania and South Africa. In 2022, 29 percent of the participants in the apprenticeship program and 50 percent of the internship program were women, respectively.
- One of our long-term sustainability goals is zero harm to people. Our mining automation solutions increase the possibility to work remotely, leading to a safer and healthier workplace.
9. Industry, innovation and infrastructure
Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 9
- Sandvik has developed a process to separate tungsten inserts from the steel body of drill bits and we buy back the used drills for separation and recycling. The need for virgin material, transports and GHG (greenhouse gases) emissions are reduced, as well as the supply chain risk. The separation process can be made locally, creating job opportunities.
- PrimeTurning™ is a methodology that enables turning in all directions. It allows customers to double the speed and feed rates, providing faster metal removal. The productivity increase is substantial, >50 percent, compared to conventional turning. Read more on sandvik.coromant.com
- On-demand, 3D-printed solutions based on titanium powder transform the medical industry. Read more on metalpowder.sandvik
12. Responsible consumption and production
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 12
Waste circularity is a focus area within our 2030 goals. We continuously work to improve recycling and reuse at our sites.
- We buy back used cemented-carbide tools from our customers and convert them back into basic raw materials in an extensive recycling program. This reduces energy consumption, lowers carbon emissions and produces less waste. Read more about the recycling of tools
- We have connected the heat recovery system in our manufacturing facility in Svedala to the site’s ventilation system and installed a process heating system to reuse excessive heat from production processes.
- In 2022, Walter started converting its product packaging to recycled plastic, so called PCR (Post Consumer Recycled), resulting in 95 percent secondary material in its packaging and reduced GHG emissions.
13. Climate action
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 13
- Sandvik submitted targets for validation to the Science Based Targets initiative in 2022, committing to net zero emissions by 2050 at the latest.
- We encourage our suppliers to set targets in line with the Paris Agreement through our Supplier Code of Conduct.
- All divisions have set targets for energy efficiency and reduced carbon emissions.
- A new electric underground crushing and conveying system at our Wolfram division will reduce CO2 emissions by 250 tons annually.
- The drill rig Sandvik DD422iE reduces particulates (NOx) and emissions underground. Read more at rocktechnology.sandvik