UN Global Goals index
World leaders have committed themselves to 17 Global Goals for Sustainable Development (SDGs). Cross-sector collaboration between civil society, academia and the business community is key if the goals are to be achieved. Sandvik has defined the goals that are most relevant for the company and to which we actively contribute:
Good health and well-being
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 3
- Exera® medical wire, used in medical applications, helps to improve people’s lives. Read more on materials.sandvik
- Our battery-driven mining equipment, for example, Sandvik DD422iE automated drill rig, improves the air quality underground. Read more on rocktechnology.sandvik
- For about 15 years, Sandvik has been part of the SHWAP program in Southern Africa, with the aim to decrease cases of HIV/AIDS within our workforce and their families, mainly by preventative measures. Read more about the program
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 5
- Our Code of Conduct and Supplier Code of Conduct prohibit discrimination against women or on any other discriminatory ground.
- We have adopted policies and processes in order to strengthen the empowerment of women.
- Diversity and inclusion are material areas for Sandvik that are closely followed up. Sandvik has set up a 2030 sustainability goal to have at least one third women in managerial positions.
Affordable and clean energy
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 7
- We produce renewable energy at our sites in France, Poland, Germany, the US, Zimbabwe, India and Sweden.
- Our coated strip steel for fuel cell bipolar interconnect plates can be used in, for example, hydrogen cars and stationary hydrogen solutions which are clean energy sources. Read more on materials.sandvik
- Sanicro® 25 nickel alloy can cope with extreme heat and is critical in next-generation power plants. Efficiency goes from approximately 35 percent to >50 percent by increasing pressure and temperature, significantly reducing CO² emissions. Read more on materials.sandvik
Decent work and economic growth
Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 8
- Decent working conditions are a prerequisite set out in our Code of Conduct and in our Supplier Code of Conduct. We respect the ILO Declaration on fundamental principles and rights at work, as well as principles 4, 5 and 6 of the UN Global Compact. We have a strict prohibition against forced, slave and child labor.
- Safety for our employees and contractors is a highly prioritized area. One of our long-term sustainability goals is zero harm to people.
- AutoMine® mining automation solution removes people from hazardous areas to a safer and healthier environment. Read more on rocktechnology.sandvik
Industry, innovation and infrastructure
Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 9
- PrimeTurning™ is a methodology that enables turning in all directions. It allows customers to double the speed and feed rates, providing faster metal removal, which means more parts per run. The productivity increase is substantial, >50 percent, compared to conventional turning. Read more on sandvik.coromant.com
- Sandvik Hiflex® precision strip steel is designed for the manufacture of compressor valves for next-generation compressors and contributes to enhancing compressor efficiency, promoting long service life and reducing noise. Read more on materials.sandvik
- Sentusys™, an intelligent system for online monitoring of tubes, improves safety and process control.
- Our production plant in Gimo, Sweden converted from heating oil to district heat produced from biofuel. The new district heating solution is expected to reduce the plant’s greenhouse gas emissions by 1,850 tons on a yearly basis.
Responsible consumption and production
Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 12
- Sandvik steel is derived from 82 percent (2019) recycled material.
- We buy back used cemented-carbide tools from our customers and convert them back into basic raw materials in an extensive recycling program. This reduces energy consumption, lowers carbon emissions and produces less waste. Read more about the recycling of tools
- We work actively with the recycling of the mineral dolomite. Full recycling would decrease the demand for virgin dolomite with 3,000 tons per year.
- Our Plug and Play Grinding Container increases bit life, decreases expenses of bits, reduces emissions and environmental and human cobalt exposure.
- We have a number of initiatives that aim to turn waste into raw materials to be used in other processes.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
Examples of Sandvik's contribution to UN global goal 13
- Our green factory concept includes reduced CO2 emissions.
- Since 2013, we have been buying energy from renewable energy sources at our major production sites in Europe
- The drill rig Sandvik DD422iE reduces particulates (NOx) and emissions underground. Read more at rocktechnology.sandvik
- Sandvik Hiflex® flapper valve material helps our customers reduce energy and create more efficient air conditioners and fridges, leading to CO² emission reductions. Read more at materials.sandvik
- Our tubes for gasoline direct injection (GDI) technology helps reduce fuel consumption. Read more at materials.sandvik
- Kanthal® heating technology products and services help customers reduce their carbon footprint by converting from gas to electric heating. Go to the website kanthal.com